Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Monkey Cook: Roasted Asparagus

Did you know that most of us get “Asparagus Pee,” but some of us don’t have the genes to smell it? Don't just take my word for it, though. Go ahead, grab a trusted friend with the right olfactory genes and check it out. Here’s a recipe to get you started:

Best Roasted Asparagus Ever

Some asparagus (enough to fill a big cast iron skillet)
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper

Note: I like “By the Sea Salt,” which is a salt and herb mix from Martha’s Vineyard. While one may purchase it online, I make my sister get some on her annual summer vacation on MV. (Crap, as soon as my sister reads this I’m going to have to start buying it online.) This makes it seem much more precious and the food tastes better. Seriously, if you think that you have a one of a kind product, it tastes better. Kind of like artisanal items.

Turn your oven on to 375 degrees.
Cut off the ends of the asparagus, place in skillet (or roasting pan or baking sheet, but if you don’t use cast iron I can’t guarantee that this will be the best you’ve tasted) and cover with olive oil, salt & pepper. Stick it in the oven and don’t take it out until the spears are all shriveled up and slightly black, 30-45 min. While the asparagus is roasting, drink as much water as you can stand.

15 min after enjoying the BRAE, get thee to a commode and tell me how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:33 PM

    I will always buy your Salt by the Sea in the hopes of luring you back to the Vineyard.

    Love ya and I"m making your pasta tonight!

    ReplyDelete